Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Deep Conversations with Ava

Today driving home from school Ava and I had a priceless conversation....
Ava: One day I am going to be a mommy.
Me: Oh that's wonderful, you will be a great mommy.
A: How does the baby get in your belly anyway?
Me: God puts it there.
Ava then starts giggling to herself in her carseat - I can tell that she is thinking about something.
Me: What's so funny
Ava: Well Mommy God is so high up there (she is talking about Heaven), how does he get that baby in there all the way down here.. (she is starting to stump me here
Me: When Mommies and Daddies are wanting to have a baby, they pray to God and hope that one day he will answer their prayers and put a baby in the mommies belly.
(This is followed by even more laughing..)
A: Well mommy that is really silly because God is to high up there, I don't know how he gets down here to get that baby in there.

Well then I was laughing, and to be quite honest I did not know how to answer her question. I think three is a little too young for the real answer to the question...so we just left it at that. I got lucky this time that she did not continue to ask more question on the topic. It seems like everyday she is asking harder and harder questions, and of course there have been lots about babies lately! What is a mom to do. If anybody has any wisdom I need all the help I can get! One thing I do know is the God made little three year old minds too smart - but so darn cute! Oh how I wish I could remember all these priceless conversations forever!!!

3 comments:

rachel said...

she is way too cute and way too smart! :) i love it!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I have always heard that, when in doubt defer to them. Meaning: turn it around on them and ask "how do you think God gets the baby all the way down there?" Their little imaginations can come up with something so much better than ours. Then you can just say, yep, I think you're right.

Campbell Crusade said...

Devin- I loved reading and looking thru your blog. Baby Reece is beautiful! And Ava seems to be a sweet big sister. You have a precious family.
I have enjoyed getting to know you more this past year and sharing our pregnancies together!
Miranda